Watercress, Leek, Cheddar, and Sourdough Gratin

Here's the recipe.

Here's the finished product:


We made small modifications to this one. We added chicken sausage for some protein. We subbed arugula for watercress, since the store didn't have any watercress. I used a bit more cheese than called for, because cheese. I also added some mustard to the sauce.

The mustard was a good addition, I think it would have been a bit bland otherwise. It probably could have done with a little bit of garlic for more flavor. Too many more additions might overwhelm it. Leeks are kind of a pain in a butt, but I like them. I always feel bad you have to toss 2/3 of them (I mean, unless you want to make a stock or have compost), then you have to wash them pretty hardcore, since they collect sand in their layers. I soaked them, then rinsed them, seemed to do the job. Otherwise it's an easy one, you have to chop the leeks and the bread, then saute the leeks, then bake it (if you add chicken sausage, I like frying those too so they brown a bit).

I liked this one a lot. Husband liked it less. He thought it was fine, but no licking the pan or extra exclamations of deliciousness. He also agreed the mustard was a good addition, and that garlic could have been good as well. He suggested cutting the bread a bit smaller, which I would agree with. These ones were a bit of a mouthful. It's baby friendly, so we'll see how she likes it!


cleaning the leeks


Sauteing the leeks and sausage

adding the bread

adding the arugula

adding the leeks

adding the sausage

adding the cheese

 ready for the oven after pouring on the sauce (it was chicken broth, milk, eggs, mustard, and pepper)


finished bake and served bowl

Comments