Vegan Meringue Failure

Here's the recipe.

Here's the best version of the finished product that I'm slightly embarrassed to have as the visible picture for this:

So I don't think there's anything wrong with this recipe, I just made a modification which likely destroyed them. I added cocoa powder to give it a bit of a chocolate flavor, and, for what I'm sure is a solid baking reason or chemical reaction reason, they spread and collapsed, the worst being the ones with the most cocoa powder in them (which is why I think it's the cocoa powder that did them in).

That being said, using the aquafaba (chickpea water) was a resounding success. Totally works as well as egg whites. I had two cups of aquafaba, which made a heck of a lot of meringues. It fluffed up to stiff peaks just like it should. I started with a pastry bag to try and make cool meringue shapes, but it was such a pain in the butt I just changed it to dollops with a spoon.

Taste-wise, they're pretty good. The thin ones are kind of like... meringue crackers. They're all a great texture, and they taste just like meringues should, they just didn't hold their shape. I think I will try again and stick to the recipe (maybe sprinkle cocoa powder on top when they're done if I really need some chocolate powder). Husband also really liked them, even if they aren't perfect.

Highly recommend trying it out if you're into vegan cooking. Or just for fun, if you have some extra aquafaba you'd just be throwing away otherwise.

the less than appetizing aquafaba with vanilla and cream of tartar

mix on high and add the sugar spoon by spoon

excellent looking stiff peaks

mixing in the cocoa powder, oh the hubris to think I could modify the recipe without looking into the effect on the finished product!


first attempt with the pastry bag

crapton of meringues in the oven--you can see I gave up on the fancy pastry bag pretty quick

rotating the tray in the oven, when I realized I had made a big mistake


probably the worst tray, and you can see in how the chocolate-y ones in particular suffered

the best tray



probably the most decently shaped meringue of the bunch (still not great, and see the hollow where the chocolate was)

some of the deformed, albeit tasty, "meringue chips"



Comments