Here is the recipe.
Here is the finished product:
Well, husband requested tiramisu for father's day, and rather than buy them, I decided to try and make the ladyfingers at home.
They turned out...ok. Kind of blobby and misshapen, but they had the right texture and taste. Considering the simplistic ingredients, they were surprisingly difficult to make. First you have to beat the egg whites and egg yolks for the right amount of time to get the best consistency. I think the harder part was folding together the ingredients, you have to be careful not to over-mix it to get the right texture.
I started as the recipe suggested, trying to pipe them with a pastry bag. Well, my hands shake, so the piped ladyfingers were more like...ladysnakes. This was also a huge batch, and piping is a pain in the rear, so I quickly moved to using a spoon to drop them in a finger shape. Some turned out normal-ish, others turned out as giant blobs. Oh well, in the end, they turned out fine texture-wise and taste-wise, so they will work for their purpose. We sampled, and husband said they tasted fine. They aren't really anything special, they work better as vessels for other things like dipping in coffee, or in cakes.
Stay tuned for tiramsu, same bat time, same bat channel.
Here is the finished product:
Well, husband requested tiramisu for father's day, and rather than buy them, I decided to try and make the ladyfingers at home.
They turned out...ok. Kind of blobby and misshapen, but they had the right texture and taste. Considering the simplistic ingredients, they were surprisingly difficult to make. First you have to beat the egg whites and egg yolks for the right amount of time to get the best consistency. I think the harder part was folding together the ingredients, you have to be careful not to over-mix it to get the right texture.
I started as the recipe suggested, trying to pipe them with a pastry bag. Well, my hands shake, so the piped ladyfingers were more like...ladysnakes. This was also a huge batch, and piping is a pain in the rear, so I quickly moved to using a spoon to drop them in a finger shape. Some turned out normal-ish, others turned out as giant blobs. Oh well, in the end, they turned out fine texture-wise and taste-wise, so they will work for their purpose. We sampled, and husband said they tasted fine. They aren't really anything special, they work better as vessels for other things like dipping in coffee, or in cakes.
Stay tuned for tiramsu, same bat time, same bat channel.
separated eggs, 8 in total (as recipe was doubled)
you use the egg whites to basically make a meringue, whisk the whites, slowly add sugar, whisk until stiff peaks
you whisk the egg yolks with sugar until pale and creamy
sifting flour and baking powder
fold in half the egg whites, fold in flour, then fold in the other half of the egg whites
finished batter
terribly piped batter, and why I switched to spooning
ladyfingers out of the oven, and then the full batch
finished ladyfinger and the inside



















Comments
Post a Comment