Blue Cheese Polenta and Vegetables

I used this recipe for the polenta and the concept.

I used this recipe for the vegetables.

Here is the finished product:

We had a lot of leftover polenta, so I found a recipe concept I liked and tweaked it around to remove things I don't like and add things I do. So I used the original recipe to cook the polenta, but subbed actual blue cheese in place of Gorgonzola (why would you call it blue cheese polenta and call for Gorgonzola in the recipe?) I also used more than the recipe called for. It was in the comments, and a good call. With the amount I used, it was still pretty subtle.

I used a different recipe for the veggies, and a different set of veggies, because I hate mushrooms and am really tired of tolerating peppers. The honey and roasted balsamic (roasting balsamic sweetens it) paired well with the blue cheese flavor. I used broccoli, leeks, spinach, and shallots as the veggies. I also added chicken sausage for protein. So I sauteed the sausage and spinach with garlic (I didn't think spinach would roast well). I probably should have included the leeks in that category, because the roasting kind of made them tough. Roasting worked out well for the broccoli and shallots, though.

I made a mistake in cooking the polenta (you're supposed to boil the milk/water and then add the polenta, but I put it all together and boiled it), but it still turned out fine. I just had to keep stirring it to make sure the bottom didn't burn.

Husband liked it, and I think it was an average like. He had no extra commentary, good or bad, but agreed with me on the leeks. Baby liked the polenta and sausage, and tried to steal from both our plates, so I guess she liked it too.


roasting the veggies with olive oil, salt, and pepper


finished roasted veggies, then with balsamic and honey added (I put it back in the oven for a bit to sweeten the balsamic, but not too long, since the leeks were overcooked as is. If I make it again, I'll do the roasting part without leeks so I can roast the balsamic longer)

sauteing chicken sausage and spinach

combining the veggies and sausage

cooking the polenta (and the mistake of adding it all together)

finished polenta


adding and melting the cheese

finished product!



Comments