One Pot Turkey Taco Skillet

Here's the recipe.

Here's the finished product:

I didn't have high hopes for this dish. The store was out of fresh spinach, so we had to get frozen. We also ended up with plain diced tomatoes, instead of tomatoes with green chilies...considering this dish was pretty simple to begin with, the lack of an ingredient could have had a bad effect on flavor.

In the end, it was tastier than I thought it would be, but it was not my favorite dish. I thought there was way too much spinach, which gave it a weird texture. We did end up using more spinach than the recipe called for. We had to estimate 6 cups translated into frozen spinach in bags, and it ended up being on the higher end. Husband, on the other hand, loved it. Like, made noises while eating loved it. So each to his or her own.

I added garlic when sauteing the turkey (because garlic, forever, always). After I added the diced tomatoes, it seemed a little dry, so I also added a can of tomato sauce, which I think was a good addition. Since we didn't have the green chilies, I added a bit of hoagie spread (cherry peppers) which I think added some pep.

It wasn't that spicy, but had a bit of a post-chew kick. Baby liked it, but would get spicy patches occasionally and cry. So it was eat, eat, cry, eat, eat, cry. But she kept eating, even after getting spice, so I assume she liked it. She has to learn to tolerate it from somewhere, we're a spicy family.

It was really easy, so worth trying. I'd advise less spinach than we used, but overall it's good.



Prepped ingredients, including a giant appetizing bowl of frozen spinach


Cooking turkey

adding onions and garlic

adding tomatoes and taco seasoning

tomatoes all mixed together

adding the spinach

spinach mixed in

adding the cheese


finished dish!

Comments