Here is the recipe.
Here is the final product:
This one was super easy. Minimal chopping, only used one pot and one bowl. You have to cook chicken which is never my favorite, but otherwise it's just dump and simmer. We doubled the recipe. I put in extra garlic (which, eventually, you can just assume I do for every dish I make) and used the whole block of cream cheese rather than leaving half of it in the fridge to go bad, but otherwise made no changes.
It's lacking in vegetables, so you may want a side, or to add veggies to it, to round out the meal (corn? okra? wilted spinach? peppers? Bunch of options). We still had leftover corn salad, so we just ate that on the side. Though the dish was was "Cajun" and had cayenne pepper, it was still mild enough to give to baby, who really liked it, especially the chicken.
Husband was also a big fan, I think he liked the smoked paprika in it. He really likes anything smoked. He licked the pot, which is a clearer indicator of what it means when he says "it's good."
In terms of husband's food ratings, you have the "it's good," where he eats some, and will continue to eat it as leftovers. There's the "it's good" where he eats it, and also licks the pot as he packs up leftovers. Then there's the "it's good" where there's both seconds taken and pot licking. Finally, the "it's good" where he has seconds, licks the pot, and also makes appreciative noises while eating. That's the best "it's good" you can get. If it's NOT good, he'll usually tell me "it's good" and force himself to eat it, but it's a pretty obvious struggle then. That doesn't happen often, luckily.
A short story about husband's attempts to flatter me into thinking everything I make is good that amuses me: one time I tried to make a heart healthy tart, which I affectionately called the "dog poop tart" because it looked like poop, and tasted almost as bad (think...grass, with a chocolate flavor). He REALLY tried to convince me he liked it, but it was pretty terrible. Granted, it was in the earlier stages of dating so he was careful not to offend me (it really wouldn't have, I mean, this tart was BAD), and finally I was just like, hey, dude, it's REALLY bad, and he reluctantly admitted "yeah, yeah it really is." He still ate a fairly large amount of the terrible tart. He's a little more honest now. Only a little. I also feel obligated to mention I haven't given him any reason to be scared to tell me if something's bad, I don't think, he's just a people pleaser. (I spend far too long looking for a picture of the dog poop tart. It may be lost to the ages).
Here is the final product:
This one was super easy. Minimal chopping, only used one pot and one bowl. You have to cook chicken which is never my favorite, but otherwise it's just dump and simmer. We doubled the recipe. I put in extra garlic (which, eventually, you can just assume I do for every dish I make) and used the whole block of cream cheese rather than leaving half of it in the fridge to go bad, but otherwise made no changes.
It's lacking in vegetables, so you may want a side, or to add veggies to it, to round out the meal (corn? okra? wilted spinach? peppers? Bunch of options). We still had leftover corn salad, so we just ate that on the side. Though the dish was was "Cajun" and had cayenne pepper, it was still mild enough to give to baby, who really liked it, especially the chicken.
Husband was also a big fan, I think he liked the smoked paprika in it. He really likes anything smoked. He licked the pot, which is a clearer indicator of what it means when he says "it's good."
In terms of husband's food ratings, you have the "it's good," where he eats some, and will continue to eat it as leftovers. There's the "it's good" where he eats it, and also licks the pot as he packs up leftovers. Then there's the "it's good" where there's both seconds taken and pot licking. Finally, the "it's good" where he has seconds, licks the pot, and also makes appreciative noises while eating. That's the best "it's good" you can get. If it's NOT good, he'll usually tell me "it's good" and force himself to eat it, but it's a pretty obvious struggle then. That doesn't happen often, luckily.
A short story about husband's attempts to flatter me into thinking everything I make is good that amuses me: one time I tried to make a heart healthy tart, which I affectionately called the "dog poop tart" because it looked like poop, and tasted almost as bad (think...grass, with a chocolate flavor). He REALLY tried to convince me he liked it, but it was pretty terrible. Granted, it was in the earlier stages of dating so he was careful not to offend me (it really wouldn't have, I mean, this tart was BAD), and finally I was just like, hey, dude, it's REALLY bad, and he reluctantly admitted "yeah, yeah it really is." He still ate a fairly large amount of the terrible tart. He's a little more honest now. Only a little. I also feel obligated to mention I haven't given him any reason to be scared to tell me if something's bad, I don't think, he's just a people pleaser. (I spend far too long looking for a picture of the dog poop tart. It may be lost to the ages).
Chopped veggies, the only chopping besides the chicken.
Coating the chicken in the cajun spices (mainly smoked paprika and garlic, with some oregano, thyme, onion powder, and cayenne pepper...I used the amount of cayenne the recipe called for and it was pretty mild)
Heating up the butter and oil and cooking the chicken
Adding the onion, then adding the tomatoes and broth to simmer
Adding the cream cheese in chunks after simmering. It called for 4 oz of cream cheese (we doubled the recipe), but I didn't want half a bar of cream cheese in the fridge, so I just used the whole thing. Didn't make much difference except it was probably a bit creamier/more caloric.
finished pasta
served bowl












Comments
Post a Comment