Here's the recipe.
Here's the finished product:
This is a big dish, and filling. We doubled the recipe in our quest to keep stocked with leftovers, and it should feed the 2.5 (.5 for baby) of us for 2-3 days. Overall an easy dish, but it takes a decent amount of time...cooking the polenta, mixing it all, then baking. This recipe is made for Thanksgiving leftovers, which we don't have at the moment, so we improvised the "leftover shredded turkey" with ground turkey, so we also had to cook that. It calls for gravy in the turkey mixture, but (as the recipe suggested) we just added a bit more enchilada sauce instead.
I did not make my own enchilada sauce or salsa, and skipped the cilantro and pomegranate salsa the recipe asked for, because cilantro is awful and the devil, and why do we need two types of salsa? Well, if you like a lot of flavors or if you're the scion of evil and like cilantro, go for it. We cooked the polenta not according to the package instructions (with water), but according to the recipe instructions (with milk and chicken broth), though we got "instant" polenta which cooked significantly faster.
I made a few mistakes, one being while draining the turkey, I dropped a bunch of it in the sink. We had some extra chicken sausage in the fridge, so I supplemented the meat with that. This was also meant to have feta/cojita, which we bought, and I forgot to put on. Oops. One of the avocados was also slightly unripe.
Husband really liked it, more so than I. It wasn't bad, but I found the polenta kind of bland (despite the massive amount of cheese in it) and tasted too much red bell pepper. I don't like bell peppers much, but there isn't a good veggie substitute for it in Mexican food, so I left it. It's not a dealbreaker, but it makes it less of a favorite. Husband liked the polenta and could taste the cheese (not surprising, I have a pretty nonsensitive palate, and I tend not taste subtle differences and to overspice things), and really liked the turkey mixture. He is currently licking the pan, so, success. We'll feed it to baby, I omitted the cayenne pepper so she could have some.
Here's the finished product:
This is a big dish, and filling. We doubled the recipe in our quest to keep stocked with leftovers, and it should feed the 2.5 (.5 for baby) of us for 2-3 days. Overall an easy dish, but it takes a decent amount of time...cooking the polenta, mixing it all, then baking. This recipe is made for Thanksgiving leftovers, which we don't have at the moment, so we improvised the "leftover shredded turkey" with ground turkey, so we also had to cook that. It calls for gravy in the turkey mixture, but (as the recipe suggested) we just added a bit more enchilada sauce instead.
I did not make my own enchilada sauce or salsa, and skipped the cilantro and pomegranate salsa the recipe asked for, because cilantro is awful and the devil, and why do we need two types of salsa? Well, if you like a lot of flavors or if you're the scion of evil and like cilantro, go for it. We cooked the polenta not according to the package instructions (with water), but according to the recipe instructions (with milk and chicken broth), though we got "instant" polenta which cooked significantly faster.
I made a few mistakes, one being while draining the turkey, I dropped a bunch of it in the sink. We had some extra chicken sausage in the fridge, so I supplemented the meat with that. This was also meant to have feta/cojita, which we bought, and I forgot to put on. Oops. One of the avocados was also slightly unripe.
Husband really liked it, more so than I. It wasn't bad, but I found the polenta kind of bland (despite the massive amount of cheese in it) and tasted too much red bell pepper. I don't like bell peppers much, but there isn't a good veggie substitute for it in Mexican food, so I left it. It's not a dealbreaker, but it makes it less of a favorite. Husband liked the polenta and could taste the cheese (not surprising, I have a pretty nonsensitive palate, and I tend not taste subtle differences and to overspice things), and really liked the turkey mixture. He is currently licking the pan, so, success. We'll feed it to baby, I omitted the cayenne pepper so she could have some.
Cooking the turkey, then what remained of the turkey after I dropped a bunch in the sink
Cooking the polenta, then adding the cheese
stages of making the turkey mixture, adding the spices, adding the bell pepper, adding the beans, adding the turkey, adding the chicken sausage, then mixing it all up.
first a layer of polenta, then a layer of turkey enchilada mixture
condiments prepped
dish out of the oven, then dug into
served bowl with avocado and salsa

















Comments
Post a Comment