Here's the recipe.
Here's the finished product:
While the recipe is for the beer bread, the reason I made it was to have something to put my tuna salad on, since we ran out of our other bread (a decent sandwich style white bread made by husband) and Triscuits (my preferred method of consuming tuna). When I was younger, my mother made tuna salad a lot, and I was/am very fond of it. It has made me very picky about tuna salad in general, and I still prefer her style to any other. Husband has also become enamored of it, so I make it occasionally as lunch food for us, more so now that we've been quarantined.
The secret of the tuna salad is dill vinegar. My parents kept a stash of it in the basement--they'd put fresh dill in vinegar, and let it sit for a while, making the vinegar all dilly and whatnot. I feel like they had bottles in there from 1984 (though the time I'm reminiscing about is...the 1990s, I think?). Anyway, the tuna salad has mayo, dill vinegar, celery, and pepper. My dill vinegar hasn't been stewing for a decade, though, so I usually add an extra bit of dill. To this day, I've never properly measured the ratios, so I wouldn't be able to give you a recipe. I keep thinking "I should measure this" and I never do. Sometimes I over-mayo it, sometimes I over-vinegar it...so it probably wouldn't hurt.
Anyway, this is starting to sound too much like one of those cooking blogs I hate, e.g. "This recipe evokes feelings of a crisp fall morn, as the leaves begin to turn and I think of this random rack of ribs I make." So I'll stop. The bread itself is like any of the other beer breads I've made, really really easy. It has the same texture as most of the others. You just mix up the dry ingredients (which includes dill for this one) and add the beer (and mustard, for this one), mix, and bake. Since the other beer breads had melted butter on the top, I added it to this one (though I had to estimate, and over estimated, so had to dump some out).
Husband liked the bread. It's more of a dipping bread than a sandwich bread, but it worked for the purpose of having something to put the tuna salad on.
Oh, also, I set off all the smoke detectors (in my defense, it was burned residue in the oven, not my bread). The cats and baby were not pleased.
Here's the finished product:
While the recipe is for the beer bread, the reason I made it was to have something to put my tuna salad on, since we ran out of our other bread (a decent sandwich style white bread made by husband) and Triscuits (my preferred method of consuming tuna). When I was younger, my mother made tuna salad a lot, and I was/am very fond of it. It has made me very picky about tuna salad in general, and I still prefer her style to any other. Husband has also become enamored of it, so I make it occasionally as lunch food for us, more so now that we've been quarantined.
The secret of the tuna salad is dill vinegar. My parents kept a stash of it in the basement--they'd put fresh dill in vinegar, and let it sit for a while, making the vinegar all dilly and whatnot. I feel like they had bottles in there from 1984 (though the time I'm reminiscing about is...the 1990s, I think?). Anyway, the tuna salad has mayo, dill vinegar, celery, and pepper. My dill vinegar hasn't been stewing for a decade, though, so I usually add an extra bit of dill. To this day, I've never properly measured the ratios, so I wouldn't be able to give you a recipe. I keep thinking "I should measure this" and I never do. Sometimes I over-mayo it, sometimes I over-vinegar it...so it probably wouldn't hurt.
Anyway, this is starting to sound too much like one of those cooking blogs I hate, e.g. "This recipe evokes feelings of a crisp fall morn, as the leaves begin to turn and I think of this random rack of ribs I make." So I'll stop. The bread itself is like any of the other beer breads I've made, really really easy. It has the same texture as most of the others. You just mix up the dry ingredients (which includes dill for this one) and add the beer (and mustard, for this one), mix, and bake. Since the other beer breads had melted butter on the top, I added it to this one (though I had to estimate, and over estimated, so had to dump some out).
Husband liked the bread. It's more of a dipping bread than a sandwich bread, but it worked for the purpose of having something to put the tuna salad on.
Oh, also, I set off all the smoke detectors (in my defense, it was burned residue in the oven, not my bread). The cats and baby were not pleased.
My own rather young dill vinegar
dry ingredients
adding beer (Sam Adams lager) and mustard
mixing up the dough
dough in the pan
adding the butter, realizing there was way too much butter, and adjusting
fresh out of the oven
finished cooled loaf and sliced
the tuna salad I had on hand
and the finished sandwich
















Comments
Post a Comment