Mac-n-Smoked Gouda with Cauliflower

Here's the recipe.

Here's the finished product:
 This one was very tasty, and very rich. The cats liked it too (note cat in background). This was not a one pot meal, but it was fairly easy. You only have to chop the onion and cauliflower, otherwise it's cooking pasta, and making a sauce, that's it. We added chicken sausage for a bit more protein, which added an extra element of chopping and some sauteing in a pan. If we didn't underestimate the size of the dish or add sausage, it'd be two pots total.

I added a bit of garlic powder to the sauce (shocking, I know), and a little bit more mustard than the recipe called for. I find mac and cheese recipes can be a bit bland, and it was worthwhile adding a bit more flavor.

It's not the healthiest, there is a LOT of cheese, and butter in the sauce, but everything in moderation, right? Husband really liked it, though we both agreed I should chop the cauliflower a bit smaller. Baby enjoyed it too, even though I kept the cayenne pepper in the recipe. It was not spicy at all, just added some flavor, so it worked. Husband may have used his fingers to lick the bottom of the pot, which is a sign of tastiness.

We doubled the recipe, and had to pull out our stew pot there was so much food. I don't recommend doing it. We have so much leftover it's taking up a huge portion of our fridge. Well, it works if you're prepping for an apocalypse, which, these days, I guess is possible.




Prepping ingredients

cooking pasta and cauliflower together

melting butter into oil

adding onions


adding and mixing spices and flour


adding milk and broth, and simmering/reducing

adding cheese!

finished sauce

adding sausage, and this is the point we switched to the larger pot


Finished and served bowl


finished licked pot and obscene amount of leftovers


Comments