Easy One Pot Shakshuka

Here's the recipe.

Here's the finished product:


So this was a Mexican-y shakshuka, it had that kind of spice profile. It's normally Middle Eastern-y, with chili and cumin, but this one also had poblano peppers, and some green onions. It's not all that different, just slightly. The recipe called for toppings like jalapenos and avocado (which would have taken it further in the Mexican direction), but I didn't really want to get all that stuff. As is, the chopping took FOREVER.

Once the chopping was done, it was easy enough. Just saute everything together, reduce, and then bake. As I mentioned in the chilaquiles, I can't really keep eggs intact, this one I broke three out of ten. Oops! I also baked it slightly too long, so the yolks hardened. It still tasted good, but I should have stuck to the lower end of the baking time range. It's hard to tell by looking when the eggs are done but runny.

This wasn't my favorite, mainly because I don't really like peppers. I would substitute for something else, but it's hard to think of other veggies that fit the Mexican taste profile. Corn? Is that it? Anyway, with all the other flavors it's fine, just not something I'd run to. Husband and baby really liked it, though, so there's that. I don't think husband licked the pot, but he ate with gusto and noises. Baby, who tends to swipe food off her chair, actually ate what we put on there, so it's a good sign. It's definitely improved by having bread to dip in it (especially if you don't like peppers).


Ingredients and chopped ingredients

sauteing the peppers with garlic


adding broth and spices

adding tomatoes

simmering

adding the eggs, the tomato mixture was a little too liquid-y to make wells for the eggs, so they kind of spread everywhere instead of staying in their own little pockets. 

dish out of the oven--the intact egg yolks LOOKED runny to me, but they were cooked through


finished dish and served bowl

Comments