Here's the recipe.
Here's the finished product:
I'm going to have to call this "chilaquiles," because I don't think it turned out like they're supposed to. Looking at other recipes online, it seems they're usually fried, but even this baked one looked crunchy in the finished picture on the original recipe. Mine did not turn out crunchy, it was more of a casserole texture. It tasted fine, but I don't think it turned out quite right.
I added corn and beans after simmering the tomatoes to make this more of a meal, and as usual we doubled the recipe. I also used cheddar instead of queso fresco because that's what we had.
This was really easy, since most of the stuff came from cans. I only had to chop the parsley. I was going to be lazy and not do it, but the parsley was clearly on its last legs, so it would probably have gone bad otherwise. I have a hard time keeping egg yolks intact, so I was pretty proud I only broke one out of eight.
Husband liked this one, though also wondered how we could have kept the chips crunchier. I mean, I simmered down the liquid pretty thoroughly, so maybe it had to be less, so it could crunch up in the bake? You don't want to bake too long, though, because you want the eggs runny, so you have to be careful. Baby also enjoyed it...not quite as much as eating trash off the floor, but still seemed satisfied.
Here's the finished product:
I'm going to have to call this "chilaquiles," because I don't think it turned out like they're supposed to. Looking at other recipes online, it seems they're usually fried, but even this baked one looked crunchy in the finished picture on the original recipe. Mine did not turn out crunchy, it was more of a casserole texture. It tasted fine, but I don't think it turned out quite right.
I added corn and beans after simmering the tomatoes to make this more of a meal, and as usual we doubled the recipe. I also used cheddar instead of queso fresco because that's what we had.
This was really easy, since most of the stuff came from cans. I only had to chop the parsley. I was going to be lazy and not do it, but the parsley was clearly on its last legs, so it would probably have gone bad otherwise. I have a hard time keeping egg yolks intact, so I was pretty proud I only broke one out of eight.
Husband liked this one, though also wondered how we could have kept the chips crunchier. I mean, I simmered down the liquid pretty thoroughly, so maybe it had to be less, so it could crunch up in the bake? You don't want to bake too long, though, because you want the eggs runny, so you have to be careful. Baby also enjoyed it...not quite as much as eating trash off the floor, but still seemed satisfied.
Pureeing half the tomatoes
Simmering the pureed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and garlic
adding corn and beans
Adding tortilla chips
cracking the eggs on top (only broke the one in the middle!)
Right out of the oven
finished dish and served bowl











Comments
Post a Comment