The Failure of the Chocolate Chip Brioche Pretzels

I'll try to keep this brief, as there is no delicious treat at the end.

The recipe attempted was from a physical copy of a Smitten Kitchen cookbook, but you can find it online just as easily.

As I mentioned in the previous post, making this dough broke my Kitchen Aid. There was a period of mourning, but my amazing husband purchased another for us (we were thinking of upgrading anyway, since I've been baking so much, but still). So I have an awesome new red Kitchen Aid (note, I really wanted the metallic copper one, but it was 100 dollars more than the less cool colors. I couldn't justify that much just for a prettier color. But let me tell you, if my whole kitchen could be copper, and not for cooking purchases, just for visuals! But I digress...). Anyway, here's the beauty:



So this one is better with doughs, and I figured I'd try the brioche pretzels again. Started fine, here's the initial ingredients:

This is the step where the original Kitchen Aid broke. It specifies you need to use the paddle, not the dough hook, you put these (eggs, yeast, dry ingredients) together, and mix on medium for 10 minutes. With the paddle. It totally burnt out the last machine. I had husband double check I wasn't making a mistake and went for it. This time, when it started making unhappy noises, I just shut it off. It wasn't taking it, and I wasn't going to break the new machine. So we switched to the dough hook, to attempt to continue, and I added the butter as instructed, and "kneaded" it with the dough hook again after.

Note about this Kitchen Aid, I'm unsure if it needs adjustment, but the attachments feel like the don't reach low enough. The dough started to get a little more battery when I added the butter, and the dough hook would just skim over the surface instead of actually catching the dough. I had to switch back to the paddle, and stop it occasionally to scrape up the sides and bottom of the bowl, to make sure the paddle would mix everything, and not leave a deposit at the bottom. Should it reach lower? I don't know. ANYWAY, after some paddle time, the dough came together and we did the dough hook kneading I mentioned earlier.

As instructed in the recipe, I let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours (rather than doing the shorter warm rise). Here's the dough before I put it in:

...and here's the dough when I took it out:


No rise! Now, to be honest, I forgot to add the chocolate chips before putting it in the fridge, but that really shouldn't have affected whether or not the dough rose at all. At this point, I was so frustrated with this recipe, I just tossed it and counted it a loss.

Checking online, a LOT of people had the same stand mixer issues, in fact, multiple people broke their Kitchen Aids attempting this one. So I don't feel so bad. And with all the issues I had mixing the dough, something probably went wrong there to make the dough not rise.

I hope anyone else who tries this is more successful than I!

Comments