Here's the recipe.
Here's the finished product:
So overall, this turned out fine. The biggest issues were that the recipe made too much meringue, and I used it all, so it kind of took over the top. The recipe also wanted you to make this neat swirl in the white meringue with the cocoa powder, but by the time I got it not-powdery, it was all mixed together, so no swirl for me.
The recipe called for a frozen tart crust, which didn't exist in my local grocery store, so I made one from scratch using this recipe. It was pretty easy, much easier than a pie crust.
The meringue also collapsed and cracked. All my meringues do. Was it too big, or was it an error in the baking/mixing? Could be either. It tasted fine, though. I also had to bake the inner chocolate filling a bit longer than it called for, I think it was a bit too much filling as well.
All in all a success. Husband liked it less than the previous cheesecake. He said it was "fine," commenting his preference was for dark chocolate, and this was milk chocolate, so I guess it was a bit too sweet for him. I prefer milk chocolate, so it worked for me.
Here's the finished product:
So overall, this turned out fine. The biggest issues were that the recipe made too much meringue, and I used it all, so it kind of took over the top. The recipe also wanted you to make this neat swirl in the white meringue with the cocoa powder, but by the time I got it not-powdery, it was all mixed together, so no swirl for me.
The recipe called for a frozen tart crust, which didn't exist in my local grocery store, so I made one from scratch using this recipe. It was pretty easy, much easier than a pie crust.
The meringue also collapsed and cracked. All my meringues do. Was it too big, or was it an error in the baking/mixing? Could be either. It tasted fine, though. I also had to bake the inner chocolate filling a bit longer than it called for, I think it was a bit too much filling as well.
All in all a success. Husband liked it less than the previous cheesecake. He said it was "fine," commenting his preference was for dark chocolate, and this was milk chocolate, so I guess it was a bit too sweet for him. I prefer milk chocolate, so it worked for me.
Mixing the tart dough. Can you see what I mean by the paddle being a bit too high? It pressed all the dough to the bottom, then just skimmed over it, rather than continuing to mix it. I had to turn off the mixer, stir it up with a spoon, start it again, let it pat it down, then turn it off and stir it up again. It was irritating.
Prebaked tart crust.
Baked tart crust.
This recipe had some mega-chocolate in it.
It all starts with chocolate and butter I hope you liked my makeshift double boiler (Bain Marie).
Melted chocolate!
2 eggs and 3 yolks, some serious yolk-age. Lately I've had trouble separating the yolks from the whites without breaking the yolks, as you see, but I managed.
Adding flour.
Pre-baked chocolate layer, you can see it was a bit over-flowy.
Making the meringue, foaming up the eggs.
With caster sugar, vanilla, and vinegar, making "stiff peaks."
Mixing in the cocoa powder. Only a few teeny streaks of white, too much mixing.
Overloading the tart with meringue.
Meringue finished in the oven, cracked, but pre-collapse.
Removing the tart pan after cooling, finished tart.
Finished sliced tart, and tart slice.



















Comments
Post a Comment