Here's the recipe.
I also used this brownie recipe.
I attempted to use this caramel recipe again, but failed and gave up.
I used this recipe for peanut butter frosting as the recipe suggested.
Finished product:
This is one intense dessert. It has a layer of shortbread, a layer of brownie, a layer of caramel, a layer of chocolate, and a layer of peanut butter frosting with chocolate chips. Again, the recipe called for a box mix, so I decided to make homemade brownies instead. I also tried to make homemade caramel from the recipe I used for the previous bars. The brownies turned out well, though it made more brownie dough than the recipe called for, so the brownie layer is a bit thicker than the one on the blog. The caramel failed again! I used the big pot and everything, but the water kept evaporating before the sugar caramelized, it was just NOT working. Rather than redoing it, I decided to do the caramel as the recipe instructed, and melted caramel candies with heavy cream. So, a bit of a shortcut there, but it all worked out.
I also used dutch sprinkles, because they are amazing, and way better than most sprinkles you find in the grocery store. I eat them out of the box sometimes. It was a nice excuse to buy them.
Other than the caramel fail, everything was pretty straightforward, but the whole dessert was time consuming because of all the parts. It took a large portion of my Sunday, but I got to eat some at the end and it was worth it! Husband also liked it, and said he liked it better than the peanut butter caramel bars. He liked the texture of the shortbread and said this one had a "more smooth flavor profile if that makes sense." I think it makes sense to me, especially because I think the previous bars were tainted by the massive amount of frosting. Once we fridge-em-up with the caramel bars, these should also last until he brings them to work, so hopefully his coworkers like them as well!
I also used this brownie recipe.
I attempted to use this caramel recipe again, but failed and gave up.
I used this recipe for peanut butter frosting as the recipe suggested.
Finished product:
This is one intense dessert. It has a layer of shortbread, a layer of brownie, a layer of caramel, a layer of chocolate, and a layer of peanut butter frosting with chocolate chips. Again, the recipe called for a box mix, so I decided to make homemade brownies instead. I also tried to make homemade caramel from the recipe I used for the previous bars. The brownies turned out well, though it made more brownie dough than the recipe called for, so the brownie layer is a bit thicker than the one on the blog. The caramel failed again! I used the big pot and everything, but the water kept evaporating before the sugar caramelized, it was just NOT working. Rather than redoing it, I decided to do the caramel as the recipe instructed, and melted caramel candies with heavy cream. So, a bit of a shortcut there, but it all worked out.
I also used dutch sprinkles, because they are amazing, and way better than most sprinkles you find in the grocery store. I eat them out of the box sometimes. It was a nice excuse to buy them.
Other than the caramel fail, everything was pretty straightforward, but the whole dessert was time consuming because of all the parts. It took a large portion of my Sunday, but I got to eat some at the end and it was worth it! Husband also liked it, and said he liked it better than the peanut butter caramel bars. He liked the texture of the shortbread and said this one had a "more smooth flavor profile if that makes sense." I think it makes sense to me, especially because I think the previous bars were tainted by the massive amount of frosting. Once we fridge-em-up with the caramel bars, these should also last until he brings them to work, so hopefully his coworkers like them as well!
Likely the reason husband liked the shortbread so much: 16 tablespoons of butter.
Creaming together butter and sugar for shortbread.
Adding flour to shortbread.
Finished shortbread dough. It was supposed to pull from the sides, and not be crumbly. It wasn't crumbly, but didn't pull from the sides... but I used it as is.
Shortbread dough in the pan.
Starting chocolate for the brownie batter.
Chocolate all melted up.
Adding sugar to the chocolate.
...I'd probably be good just eating the butter, sugar, and chocolate mixture.
Adding in the eggs.
Egged up batter.
Adding flour, cocoa, and chocolate chips to batter.
Finished brownie batter.
Brownie batter goes on top of shortbread batter.
Ready for the oven!
Out of the oven. Due to the extra brownie batter, it had to bake probably an extra half hour than the recipe said. Note all the toothpick holes for checking.
Attempt to make caramel. It started out well enough, but just evaporated and seized up.
Second caramel attempt. Using Werther's Originals chewy caramel candy with heavy cream.
Melted caramel sauce.
Spread caramel.
Ingredients for the chocolate topping--pretty simple.
Spread chocolate topping. Hardened it in the freezer.
Making frosting, starting with butter and peanut butter.
Adding powdered sugar for frosting.
Finished peanut butter frosting.
Frosted bars, almost done!
Chocolate sprinkles! Hagelslag! Odd to me they put it on buttered bread, but the sprinkles themselves are awesome.
Finished sprinkled bars!
Side view of bars removed from pan.
Finished bars!

































Comments
Post a Comment