Recipe: https://findingtimeforcooking.com/desserts/norwegian-skillingsboller-cinnamon-buns/
Finished Product:
One of husband's Dutch cousins posted about these, and they looked interesting when I looked them up, so I figured I'd try them. The finished product picture doesn't look too bad, but these were a definite failure. I set off all the fire alarms, and burned the final product. I also totally forgot to put cinnamon in them, only gave them a sugar filling. Oh well! In the end, they're edible, though a little crispy. I don't think I'll be sending them into work with the husband, but they won't be thrown away either.
Not sure where I went wrong, my running theory is that the sugar layer sunk to the bottom, and burned. The bottom is also a little sticky, which is another reason I think it's the sugar. The areas where the egg wash dripped also burned, so it could be that, though I didn't egg wash the bottom, and didn't lift them after I egg-washed them, so I'm still going with sunken sugar. But why did the sugar sink? Did I put too much butter in the filling? Too much sugar? (the recipe didn't have sugar amounts, just "to taste.") I had to re-roll a lot of them, so maybe that messed up the filling? Was it the missing cinnamon? Did I cut them too thin? The world may never know, unless I make skillingsboller again, or cinnamon buns, or other rolled bun-like thing.
The fire alarm certainly terrified all cats and baby.
Finished Product:
One of husband's Dutch cousins posted about these, and they looked interesting when I looked them up, so I figured I'd try them. The finished product picture doesn't look too bad, but these were a definite failure. I set off all the fire alarms, and burned the final product. I also totally forgot to put cinnamon in them, only gave them a sugar filling. Oh well! In the end, they're edible, though a little crispy. I don't think I'll be sending them into work with the husband, but they won't be thrown away either.
Not sure where I went wrong, my running theory is that the sugar layer sunk to the bottom, and burned. The bottom is also a little sticky, which is another reason I think it's the sugar. The areas where the egg wash dripped also burned, so it could be that, though I didn't egg wash the bottom, and didn't lift them after I egg-washed them, so I'm still going with sunken sugar. But why did the sugar sink? Did I put too much butter in the filling? Too much sugar? (the recipe didn't have sugar amounts, just "to taste.") I had to re-roll a lot of them, so maybe that messed up the filling? Was it the missing cinnamon? Did I cut them too thin? The world may never know, unless I make skillingsboller again, or cinnamon buns, or other rolled bun-like thing.
The fire alarm certainly terrified all cats and baby.
The two basic components are the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, yeast, baking powder, salt) and the heated wet ingredients (butter, milk, and cardamom).
Finished dough, set up for rising.
Risen dough.
Rolled out dough.
Buttered rolled out dough.
Sugar added. This is where I neglected to add the cinnamon.
Rolled up dough log.
Sliced rolls.
The rolls have to rise a little more after rolling/slicing, these are post-second rising.
Egg washed rolls.
Rolls out of oven.
The true failure of the rolls. The extra ones I had baking on the bottom rack of the oven (top), and the burned bottoms--which is how the bottom of all the buns look.
















Comments
Post a Comment