Chocolate Macarons with Nutella Mousse Recipe
Finished Product:
Well, perhaps you can see from the picture, these were a partial fail. They taste okay, but the meringue part of the macaron was totally off. My best guess as to where I went wrong was using caster sugar instead of powdered sugar. I only had confectioners sugar and caster sugar in my pantry, and confectioners sugar has cornstarch in it, so I went with the caster sugar (which says on the bag it can be used for meringues). It's definitely possible other things went wrong (egg whites not beaten properly? measurements off?), but I'm fairly sure I followed the recipe and directions correctly otherwise. I can see from the recipe site my meringue dough was way too thick and grainy.
The mousse inside turned out great, at least. The meringues weren't airy, and were kind of chewy, but they did have the crackly outside and moist inside. I'd call these more....unusual sandwich cookies rather than macarons, though. Husband really likes them, at least, and I do think they taste pretty good, so it all worked out in the end, even if they don't look like they're supposed to.
Finished Product:
Well, perhaps you can see from the picture, these were a partial fail. They taste okay, but the meringue part of the macaron was totally off. My best guess as to where I went wrong was using caster sugar instead of powdered sugar. I only had confectioners sugar and caster sugar in my pantry, and confectioners sugar has cornstarch in it, so I went with the caster sugar (which says on the bag it can be used for meringues). It's definitely possible other things went wrong (egg whites not beaten properly? measurements off?), but I'm fairly sure I followed the recipe and directions correctly otherwise. I can see from the recipe site my meringue dough was way too thick and grainy.
The mousse inside turned out great, at least. The meringues weren't airy, and were kind of chewy, but they did have the crackly outside and moist inside. I'd call these more....unusual sandwich cookies rather than macarons, though. Husband really likes them, at least, and I do think they taste pretty good, so it all worked out in the end, even if they don't look like they're supposed to.
Meringue dry ingredients (this is where the caster sugar went)
Beaten egg whites with "stiff peaks" (I do still suck at figuring out stiff peaks, so it could have gone wrong here? The recipe also called for 100 grams of egg whites, and equated it to about 3.5 eggs, but 3 eggs proved to be close to 200 grams, and I had to dump some... should I have gone for the 3.5 eggs? Did I not use enough?)
Meringue dough, way too thick and grainy.
I had to use a piping bag, which I hate.
They're supposed to just "drop" into a circle, but since mine was so thick, it looked like poop. We giggled.
I smoothed out the poop emoji texture so it looked a little more macaron-y
Just out of oven, no rising, thick and flat.
Inside of the meringue--you can see the difference between the crunchy outside and moist inside
Mousse, pre-refrigeration to thicken it. It's just melted chocolate, heavy cream, and nutella.
After refrigeration you beat the mousse, here it is, ready to spread.
Mousse-ing the meringues
Built meringues. The mousse is a bit squishy, so I refrigerated it, which solidified the mousse a bit, and turned it into a more solid cookie.
Finished cookie, outside and inside.
















Comments
Post a Comment