Cheddar Chive Soufflés

Recipe: https://www.fifteenspatulas.com/cheddar-chive-souffles/

New blog decision, I'm going to post a picture of the finished product first, since blogger always chooses the first photo to put as the preview/background picture.

So I asked husband what I should bake next, thought maybe macarons, since they're a little difficult, and I wanted to try something a little challenging. He seemed less than excited, and suggested a souffle. Why not? (I might try nutella macarons next, though). I decided to make a savory souffle.

Finished souffle!

It wasn't that hard, though I was expecting it to be. I think I can see points where it could go wrong. It collapsed with time, but I think that's normal--they didn't collapse in the oven, just slowly deflated. You have to serve them fresh.

We didn't have ramekins, though the internet said you can use anything ceramic with straight sides. We ended up getting soup mugs, which worked ok, even if it's not the most elegant. Particularly classy was the coffee mug we used for the mixture that didn't fit into the two soup mugs. That ended up being the souffle we gave to baby.

Overall recommend, as long as you have an electric mixer, I can't imagine doing the egg white mixing by hand and getting the right texture. I prepped all the ingredients first, so I could dump everything in as timing required. It was very rich but fluffy. Husband liked it a lot, though, per usual, eloquently and loquaciously commented "it was good." He had seconds, which usually signifies a success. Baby also seemed to like it, and ate it instead of her vegetables, which is what I would do. I guess we're related.
Splitting up the eggs, you cook up a yolk mixture, then whip up and fold in the egg white mixture.
Cooking up the egg yolks with flour. Lots of constant whisking. I think not whisking and curdling the eggs is a pitfall for souffles.
Adding cheese, chives, and mustard.
Final egg yolk mixture.
Whipped up egg white with cream of tartar. Still trying to get the hang of "stiff peaks." I assume this is another place where souffles can go wrong.
Mixing the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture. You have to keep the egg whites airy, so you have to "fold it in," which I guess it another thing that could cause the souffle to collapse, if you mix it too much.
Prepped souffle mugs: butter sprinkled with parmesan cheese.

Prebaked souffle. You can see the classy cat mug in the background of the top photo.

Finished and baked souffle!
Inside souffle after a bit of collapse from time/serving.

Comments