Recipe: https://thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk/recipes/all/henrys-tomato-new-potato-tarte-tatin-with-crab-salad/
So this is the first savory recipe to grace the blog. It has a dude's name on it because I got it from the Great British Baking Show, and this is the contestant's name who baked it/came up with the recipe. The show always makes me want to bake when I watch it--with varying degrees of success. I can tell you my pies always have soggy bottoms. So, to put it out there, his looked like this:

Spoiler: Mine did not! But it did taste ok.
The recipe was super involved, and I decided to make my own puff pastry, which, by the by, is super hard, though they make it look SO EASY on the show. Most of the components of the recipe were easy enough to do (though there were a lot of them, so making this takes some serious time), but the pastry was definitely not one of them. If I make a tarte tatin again (and I should, since I now have a tarte tatin pan) I will probably use premade puff pastry.
Husband and I agree our favorite part was the crab salad, which was easy enough. The rest was tasty enough, but probably not worth the effort to do again. Here come the pictures!
So this is the first savory recipe to grace the blog. It has a dude's name on it because I got it from the Great British Baking Show, and this is the contestant's name who baked it/came up with the recipe. The show always makes me want to bake when I watch it--with varying degrees of success. I can tell you my pies always have soggy bottoms. So, to put it out there, his looked like this:

Spoiler: Mine did not! But it did taste ok.
The recipe was super involved, and I decided to make my own puff pastry, which, by the by, is super hard, though they make it look SO EASY on the show. Most of the components of the recipe were easy enough to do (though there were a lot of them, so making this takes some serious time), but the pastry was definitely not one of them. If I make a tarte tatin again (and I should, since I now have a tarte tatin pan) I will probably use premade puff pastry.
Husband and I agree our favorite part was the crab salad, which was easy enough. The rest was tasty enough, but probably not worth the effort to do again. Here come the pictures!
Puff pastry dough ball
Rolled out puff pastry dough with grated butter
You fold and roll, and fold and roll, and fold and roll, freezing in between.
Cherry tomatoes halved with seeds squeezed out, baked with basil infused olive oil, salt and pepper
Super thin sliced potatoes fried in butter.
Making the caramel, had to buy special sugars for this, so I'll have to figure out other things to use them in (caster sugar and demerara sugar)
Spread the caramel in the pan--it hardened FAST, so I couldn't get it to cover the whole bottom 🤷♀️
Then the layer of fried potatoes with thyme and cayenne pepper
Layer of baked tomatoes
Cover with the rolled out puff pastry, tuck the puff pastry in the sides (or let it bunch of ridiculously as you try to tuck it in, whatever...)
Extra baked puff pastry, some of it turned out with nice flakes.
Making the crab salad while the tarte bakes--it's just crab, creme fraiche, dill, garlic, cut red pepper, and tomato puree
Baked tarte cooling out of the oven
Turning the tarte out onto a platter--didn't exactly have fantastic layers, but it mostly held together
Tarte topped with watercress and crab salad
Inside of tarte




















Comments
Post a Comment